The bi-annual handicap review has been completed and the output is attached below along with an explanation of the process. The changes are mostly minor – the biggest penalty, which equates to 30 seconds over an hour long race, goes to Misty Lady.
Next race is Winter 1 on Saturday: start 12:30 in the river mouth. Please note that, contrary to previous advice, the Winter Series will be awarded for the best two results from three races (Sat 1 Nov, Sat 29 Nov, Sat 13 Nov). In the event that there are no entrants for a race (due to poor weather) then the result of the Gluhwein Race on Sun 28 Dec will also be counted.
We’re also working on the sailing calendar for 2015 and I’m intending to issue a draft by this time next month.
In the interests of transparency this is how the reviews work (and have done for the past few years):
– Each boat has a handicap assigned for top of the tide races, which is their predicted performance (the Top of Tide number in the attachment)
– After each race the results are entered into a spreadsheet supplied by the RYA – the imbedded formulas calculate the actual performance achieved by each boat
– There’s a cut off at which point the results are discarded to foil any attempts to improve handicaps by finishing last
(note there’s a few sub rules to prevent boats from falling foul of this when the number is genuinely wrong)
– All boats that have three or more valid results since the last review have their average actual performance calculated
– A new Top of Tide number is proposed for each boat that is half way between their predicted and actual performance
– The proposed new numbers are then reviewed by the sailing subcommittee to ensure that there’s no errors
If you’ve got any questions on this do contact me directly